In Queensland, drink driving charges attract minimum periods of licence disqualification. At the end of such a disqualification period, a person can apply to QLD Transport for their licence. Certain offences mean QLD Transport will only grant a licence with certain stipulations. One such is that the person may only drive a vehicle fitted with an alcohol interlock device. The interlock device must be fitted for the duration of the interlock program. This will be a minimum of 12 months from when the disqualification for the offence ends.
The offences which trigger the imposition of an alcohol ignition interlock device include:
- driving with a blood alcohol concentration over 0.1% (over the mid-range limit);
- failing to provide a specimen of breath or saliva for analysis;
- dangerous operation of a motor vehicle aggravated by being affected by alcohol; or
- 2 or more drink driving offences within 5 years.
What Is an Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device?
An alcohol interlock device can act to prevent a person from starting their vehicle. A vehicle fitted with the device will only start if the driver blows a nil-alcohol breath sample.
Drivers charged with any of the offences or in any of the circumstances above, must:
- have a zero-alcohol reading for the duration of the interlock period; and
- only drive a nominated vehicle (fitted with an interlock device) during that period.
What Is the Cost to Fit an Alcohol Interlock Device?
The alcohol ignition interlock device must be installed by a nominated provider. The costs include installation, regular servicing, and removal.
These prices vary, but for a 12-month period, generally come to around $2,000. This can be a significant punishment arising from a drink driving / DUI offence.
Can You Apply for An Exemption from An Alcohol Interlock Device?
You can apply for an exemption based on:
- locality (and lack of nominated providers in your area),
- medical grounds; or
- grounds of severe hardship.
The scope for an exemption, however, is quite limited.
Failure To Have an Interlock Device Installed
The period you cannot drive for is extended if you do not participate in the interlock program. This is in addition to the disqualification imposed by Court. Those who do not participate cannot apply for a licence for 5 years from the end of their disqualification.
Further licence disqualification periods apply if:
- you drive a vehicle that is not fitted with an alcohol interlock device;
- you drive a vehicle other than your nominated vehicle.
How We Can Help – Providing Expertise & Results
Our lawyers provide experience and expertise for all drink driving and DUI charges.
We can also assist with disqualified driving offences.
If you need to appear in Court, we can tell you what conditions may apply after your disqualification. This way you will know what to expect and what is required of you.
We appear regularly in all Magistrates Courts around South East Queensland. This includes the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Logan, Gold Coast, and west to Toowoomba. As such, we are familiar with the Court processes and jurisdictions. We can guide you on how best to present your case.
AW Drink Driving Lawyers are focused on results.